Thursday, September 23, 2010

Day 2 - Singapore

It's that time in the afternoon over here when the weather has built. We've had a bit of rain already...




I think it looks worse than it actually was!

Have you ever had noodles for breakfast? Well it was an option at the hotel's buffet so I basically said "Why the hell not?". Char kway teow is what it's called and if it's there tomorrow morning I'll have it again! Wikipedia it and you'll get a better explanation than what I can give.

Something I neglected to mention in yesterday's blog was that I had a pickup to do this morning...




Yep the race tickets - they're actual plastic cards and there's an individual one for each day (as you can no doubt see...) I just have to make sure I don't take the wrong day's pass with me each day!

After that, on the way back to the hotel I stopped at the 7-11 next door for my first taste of what groceries you can buy here. Apparently nearly all the dairy products that are consumed here come from Australia and New Zealand - one of the brands makes mention of "100% fresh, 100% Australian" in their advertising. All I can say is go you Aussie dairy farmers! Doing us proud on the world stage.

Prices of goods in the 7-11 were lower than in a convenience store in Australia, and when you add in the exchange rate of $1.15 Singapore for every Aussie dollar it makes things more affordable.

Take my next consumer experience as an example. "Wall Street 2", released only today in cinemas. I went and saw it for $8.50 in local money! It was a really good movie, as Molly Meldrum says "do yourself a favour" - go see it. Just make sure you watch the original flick first, otherwise the characters won't make complete sense. Some of the unanswered questions in the first one do get answered in the sequel, I can tell you that without spoiling the plot.

I had lunch at about 2:30 in one of the restaurants inside the shopping centre which houses the cinema I went to. Nothing remarkable about that, but the centre has something I haven't seen anywhere else. The food level is Level 4, so what did they build? An express travelator to go from the ground floor straight up to Level 4. Kind of the shopping centre equivalent of a freeway bypass I guess...

Read the part about the rain about the start so everything's in chronological sequence.

And now more dark clouds building. Fortunately I haven't got anything planned for another few hours until I head to the Singapore Flyer. I'll be taking my trusty sidekick Fuji Finepix along for the ride, so see tomorrow's post for a whole lot more photos than I've taken so far.

Quote of the day: "Money is a b***h who never sleeps, and if you don't keep an eye on her, then you wake up in the morning and she's gone." (I deliberately did that censoring because I'm not sure if they monitor these kinds of things over here - either way I'd rather not find out!)

No comments:

Post a Comment