Saturday, October 2, 2010

Day 9 - Dubai (part 2, cruising Dubai Creek)

Well I'm now at the airport and I've got hours to kill - it's currently half past 1 and my flight leaves at 8. Time to catch up on all those posts I've promised!

Thursday night, my cruise of Dubai Creek was sensational. So good that I really enjoyed myself...


And you thought that was white wine didn't you? Actually it was Al Ain mineral water...


This is what it looks like on board a dhow (a traditional Arab fishing vessel, although it's probably been years since this one has carried anything but tourists!) I was on the top, open air section so I could get a better view of things - and also so I could take better photos!


This is one of the best shots I managed to take, and it was before we'd even left. It's a shot looking across the creek from the dhow wharfage back towards Bur Dubai. Unfortunately, taking photos at night is a complex business. You wouldn't believe how many duds I snapped! 


When you sail on Dubai Creek, you head towards the ocean but as far as I understand it's completely blocked off. So all the cruise dhows get to this point where they have to turn around. It's pitch black on the left hand side, and yes that is how it actually looks!

 

On the way back, I thought maybe I'd try to make a video because I wasn't having much success with the snaps. This came out quite well actually. The tall building with the flashing light on the right hand side is the Bank of Baroda branch in Bur Dubai, which is only about 10 minutes walk from my hotel. I tried to take out money there on my first night, but it seems their ATM doesn't like my plastic fantastic!

Coming up next is Friday morning at the Burj Khalifa.

1 comment: